Sunday 13 January 2013

What I've Been Reading:
The Marriage Plot by Jeffrey Eugenides


After reading several negative reviews of the latest Jeffrey Eugenides novel, I was nervous about reading The Marriage Plot. I adore both of Eugenides' previous novels 'The Virgin Suicides' and 'Middlesex' and was really hoping that I'd enjoy his third novel.

And I did. I loved this novel. It absorbed me from the first page. The characters and their situation appealed to me. I've always loved Campus Novels but this was the first one I've read that opens on Graduation day and flashes back to the university experience while moving forward with the characters into their post-university lives.

The characters intrigued me. I saw myself and some of the people I know in them and I actually cared about them, wanted things to work out for them as they ventured into the adult world. I was surprised by how many of the novels I've read were referenced as well. And it was strange how one of the professors reminded me a lot of one of my own university lecturers.

I really connected with this novel and would definitely recommend it. I'll also probably be reading it again at some point, and no doubt I'll connect with it even more on a second reading.

Rating: 5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment